Sunday, August 19, 2012

A glimpse of my first day as a uni student


Hello. Last Monday was officially my first day as an NUS student. To tell you frankly, it wasn’t that bad. The first lecture was 2 hours of Marketing from 9 to 11 am (very early, I know). The prof has a funny Singlish accent, which made it difficult at first to absorb what he was saying. Nevertheless, after the first hour has passed, I was already more comfortable with his teaching style. Despite not knowing anyone in the lecture, I found the class interesting (maybe cos I’m into this kind of business-related stuffs). It also turned out that the prof was the co-author of the textbook we are going to use for this semester. Cool huh? But it won’t sound cool anymore if I tell you that the book cost me $53 (that’s after discount already). That’s enough $$$ to go for sushi buffet three times. L

Da book

After that, I was supposed to have an English class for Critical Thinking and Writing, but fortunately (or unfortunately) the class was cancelled, leaving me with 5 hours of free and easy before the next class started. However, I had to attend a placement test for my Chinese class before heading for lunch. The test was so hard, I gave up halfway. Thanks to the test, I was late for a lunch appointment with my Chemical Engineering (Chem Eng) buddies. In the end, I had my lunch alone. Luckily the food was good, as I will eat this food for the next four years.

After lunch, I decided to spend the rest of my free time in the library where I met Novi. She was sleeping (lol) when I saw her in the snack corner. I read my new marketing book while waiting for her to wake up. We then talked about many things, including her question “If a guy likes a girl, what would he want her to give him?” Weird, I know. Haha. But time flew as we talked, and it was time for Math lecture (yay or boo?)

We had two hours of Math. It was good cos I got to sit with our other Chem Eng friends (Ivan, Novi, Marcella, Icha). The lecturer for this module had decent English grammatically, but his thick Chinese accent made it hard to catch what he said. For instance, his pronunciation of “down” sounded like “tongue”. His intonation was also very flat and had a dozing effect. Bad, bad news for me, since Math isn’t my strongest subject. Well, guess it just means that I must put in more effort in this subject.

That’s pretty much how my first day went. Not so bad, right? Will write another post about the dance open classes I went for in that week next time. That’s all for now folks! Jesus bless you all J

Bonus: my timetable (assuming my balloting is successful). If you notice, I always have a day or two off after two days of school e.g. Mon-Tue school, Wed holiday, Thurs-Fri school, Sat-Sun holiday. Good life huh...

No comments: